The Lancaster Canal Company proposed, in 1793, to construct a link between the canal and the Lune estuary at Glasson. William Crosley, the superintendent, estimated the cost of the Glasson branch at £34,608, and agreement to proceed was reached in 1823. By December 1825, the two and a half mile arm was ready for use, but due to the usual financial constrictions the building of wharves and warehouses proceeded more slowly, thus delaying the build up of trade. A five-storey warehouse was built beside the basin, with a capacity of 1,500 tons of goods, whilst the basin itself was 14 feet deep, and covered 36,000 square yards. The branch has seven locks in total, each requiring 83,500 gallons to raise or lower a boat ten feet.
The Dock Master's house and a lock-keeper's cottage were built at Glasson, and another lock-keeper's house at the junction with the mainline of the canal just to the south of Galgate.
Below: Lock gates on the Glasson arm of the Lancaster Canal
Above: Advert for the letting of the building work on two of the Glasson locks.
Below: Lock gate paddle gear
The Glasson branch opened for passage on 16th May, 1826, and the first vessel through it was the sloop, "Slightly", which was carrying slate from the Duddon area to Preston. In August 1827 the first vessel bound for Kendal to use the Glasson branch was the 60 ton schooner, Seaforth, carrying salt from Northwich.
Left: The Lancaster Canal entering the basin at Glasson
The first lock-keeper at Glasson was a James Bryce who had earlier worked on the canal at Borwick He had been variously described as a lock-keeper, a mason and a canal worker. Sadly, in 1835, he drowned in the dock.
|MAP OF THE LANCASTER CANAL||IN THE BEGINNING||THE NAVVIES START WORK||THE GRAND OPENING|
|THE PLAN AND THE REALITY||NORTHWARDS TO KENDAL||AND THE WATERS CAME||LINKS WITH THE SEA|
|PASSENGER TRAVEL||THE DOWNWARD SLOPE||THE END IS NIGH||NEW HOPE|
|FURTHER READING||PLACES TO VISIT||BOAT TRIPS||CANAL GROUPS|
Copyright: Canalcaholic 1999
Last revised: August 2004