In order to ensure a good supply of water for the Kendal section of the canal, the Company had determined to build its own reservoir, and in 1810 purchased 86 acres of land at Killington Common, some 5 miles to the east of Kendal. Water would be brought from the reservoir by means of a feeder channel to enter the canal at Crooklands. The reservoir, completed in 1819, has been enlarged several times and now covers 153 acres. It holds 766 million gallons when full, and has a maximum depth of 47 feet against the dam, which was built of clay and stone.
Above: Crooklands feeder entering the canal.
Lying 750 feet above sea-level, and measuring about four miles round, the reservoir supplies up to 3.7 million gallons of water per day to the canal. It is one of the largest canal feeders in the country.
Above right: Map of planned reservoir
|MAP OF THE LANCASTER CANAL||IN THE BEGINNING||THE NAVVIES START WORK||THE GRAND OPENING|
|THE PLAN AND THE REALITY||NORTHWARDS TO KENDAL||AND THE WATERS CAME||LINKS WITH THE SEA|
|PASSENGER TRAVEL||THE DOWNWARD SLOPE||THE END IS NIGH||NEW HOPE|
|FURTHER READING||PLACES TO VISIT||BOAT TRIPS||CANAL GROUPS|
Copyright: Canalcaholic 1999
Last revised: August 2004